Expectations of the Assistant Coach Jun 5, 2013 20:20:53 GMT
Post by Coach Campbell on Jun 5, 2013 20:20:53 GMT
Expectations of the Assistant Coach
On school grounds we must:
- Always act in a professional and courteous manner.
- Follow the schools expectations and mission statement.
- Never use tobacco products.
- Be on time to meetings, practices, and school functions.
At practices and meetings we must:
- Always have a plan of attack to be as efficient as possible.
- Be prepared to be on time with schedules, drills, etc.
- Always be teaching.
- Always correct the player in a positive manner.
- Lead by example.
With players we must:
- Always treat with with respect and dignity.
- Be always willing to help them on and off the field.
- Look out for their best interest and safety.
- Show tough love in order to get them to show their potential.
- Not choose favorites.
With Parents we must:
- Solve issues in a professional manner at the correct time and place.
- Show respect and remember we are in charge of their son.
- Turn over all non- immediate resolvable issues to head coach.
- Never discuss other player's abilities/issues.
With each other we must:
- Always demonstrate respect for one another.
- Listen to all ideas.
- Work together for the common goal!
- Solve issues between coaches behind closed doors.
- Never solve a conflict on the field or in front of players.
- Listen to the final say of the head coach.
Loyalty is a huge aspect of being a coach. Whether you are a head coach or an assistant, without loyalty to each other, the program will struggle to become successful. As an assistant is it is important to remember a rank in order. You can voice your opinion and show concern for areas, however, in the end it is the head coaches decision which direction the team will go and it must be followed. An assistant will not always agree with the plan or the head coach, but 'buying in' to the program philosophy will only strengthen the team's ability to win. If players, parents, even fans see the assistants revolting against the head coach in even the slightest of ways, this will cause a cancer within the team and divide loyalties and weaken the core of the group. Being an assistant with my own ideas, I have to realize that it isn't about being loyal to plan I don't agree with, its being loyal to a man, a team, and a belief.